Just Stop Already

As of today, I've been putting off my next cigarette for 19 years.

I don't intend for there to be a next one, but I've torched that intention three times before, so I distrust the word "quit."

I was a pack-a-day smoker by the time I was in high school, having started when I was 9. (Yes, you read that right.) There were those three smoke-free periodsa year when I was 20, three years starting at age 26, seven weeks at age 34. Each time I stoppedincluding the current 19-year-stretchit was cold turkey. I know others who have done it with gum, or a patch, or e-cigs, or whatever. The method is less important than the simple determination to stop.

At any rate, I had smoked for more than 20 years out of 25.

Several times in the six years I've been on Facebook, I've commemorated this day publicly with a "yay me" post. This time, instead, I'm thinking about my mom, who stopped smoking around the same time I did. My siblings and Iformer smokers all, the four of usare hoping she'll be around to celebrate her 87th birthday in a week-and-a-half. Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer earlier this summer, and it is doing what cancer does.

I don't judge smokers. I know it's hard to stop, and I know why. I can still relate to all the things that ever made me want to smoke in the first place. Even today, I might catch a whiff of someone's cigarette smoke and think: Damn, I could light one up this minute. Just one.

But I know better.

If you smoke, you should stop.

You can.

You should.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts While Not Shaving

Those Noisy, Pesky, Horny Cicadas

Tips for the Creatively Constipated